Tuesday, April 1, 2008

gElf Diaries 4- Yet, Not yet!!!

If you are reading this, please read the following before reading this-

1) http://ajithessence.blogspot.com/2008/03/gelf-diaries-part-1.html
2) http://ajithessence.blogspot.com/2008/03/gelf-diaries-2-arabian-night.html
3) http://ajithessence.blogspot.com/2008/03/gelf-diaries-3-zimble-myoozings.html


Exceedingly pretty eyes she had,
Piercing, misty and green.
They reflected something sad,
But beautiful they were,
As beautiful as can be.

I was sitting sipping my latte in Starbucks when I noticed this beautiful girl. I’ve just described to you the eyes. My cuzin sis who was sitting with me mentioned that her cheeks resembled a “thakkaali” (tomato in tamil). I could not stop staring at the girl.

Usually, when I see a beautiful girl, I try not to make the ogling obvious. This has been more prominent in the Middle East. Yahaan toh dar lagta hai kisi bandi se aankh milaane mein.

But in this case, I cared not for (my self imposed) Middle Eastern norms. She was pretty and there to be seen. She knew it too, through a sixth sense that only womenfolk have, that there was a pair of Indian eyes looking into hers. For a few seconds, or probably a fraction, our eyes met.

Most of the Middle Eastern girls have amazingly good-looking features. Only that they seem to be using layers and layers of make-up. Also this entire city smells of perfumes- inside the lifts, inside the malls, inside the office, just about everywhere.

Something intriguing about the girls though is that most of them are shrouded in a black gown.

The best thing about Dubai is that women can roam around freely here- without an iota of fear of eve teasing.

I’m now counting my days in Dubai. I’m likely to be back in India anytime now. Acquaintances do not seem to understand- there is a unique relief that pervades me when I think of coming back to India.. Friends will know.

I’d mentioned in my previous blogs about me going where destiny takes me. Looks like I’m going back to Gurgaon for now. Par Kal ka kya hai, kisne dekha….

I got a hang of the city’s enormity yesterday. A night drive on Sheikh Zayed road, skyscrapers on the left and the right, a massive highway and the badi badi gaadiyaan… tez tez chalti hui… from one traffic jam to another.

The Mall of Emirates would be a treat for a shopping freak. I guess I am not one.

My eyes long for roads lined with trees,
This place is filled with luxuries,
I see cranes, I see buildings,
I see cars and I see roads wide.
Yet I know not when I shall find my peace,
But, I do know when I shall see those roads,
Potholed and narrow, yet lined with trees,
This longing shall cease.

No comments: